2.0 mk3 laser. what to do??????

Mk3 Owners Please Tell Us About Your Capri Here

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

Dapstar

2.0 mk3 laser. what to do??????

Post by Dapstar »

I just got an awesome birthday present for my 30th birthday. From my gorgeous girlfriend. Anyway to the point. It's a 1 owner with only 9500 miles on the clock. Mk3 2.0 laser. It was in a accident in 1992 and has been dry stored ever since. My question is as it's so genuine do i restore it to standard. Or do i modify it by changing the engine etc?

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

Laser's are not especially collectable and pretty hopeless in stock form.

Mod it sensibly with some brakes, suspension, wheels and a modern
more powerful fuel efficient engine then you can really enjoy it.

Some ideas http://.www.caprisport.com
Just some of what we do

Dapstar

Post by Dapstar »

Hi, Thanks for the reply. That's what i thought. Any ideas on a good engine i'd like to fit something differant from the norm. Any ideas. I'm tempted on a S2000, But would prefer to keep it ford. I think i'll keep the body work standard. Come on someone else must have some good idea's.

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

If this was another forum, you'd have had loads of dum ideas by now
and the no-marks would be arguing with eachother as to how you should spend your money.

What you need to do is decide what you want from the car.

I'm guessing it's going to be a bit of a "weekend toy"?
So fuel consumption is a conssideration but not top of the list?

The cost has to be a factor too?
Value for money - "bang for buck" - needs to make you smile - glad you spent the time and money?

Honda S2000 - sounds like a plan but it's expensive an you have to rev the nads off it to get anywhere.
Ok in a track car but wearing to drive on the road.

Try Nissan 200 SX - cheap to do - loads of tuning parts all well proven

People talk about the Ztec when they don't know any better but look into it a little and you soon realise
it's not good value for money. You can easily do 3 grand and still not break 150 bhp.
If you're doing that kind of money, you want to see 200+ That's where the Ford V6's win.

2.9 12V - cheap & easy and a realistic 180 for about £500 - now that's more like it. Driveable and economic too.

24V - lots of myths and legends here - do it properly and it's about 2 grand.
220+ and delivered in a way that really does put a smile on you face.
You could drive one of these every day and not get bored.

Some stuff that isn't that sensible -

Rover V8 - yes I know Tony's car but he'd be the first to admit it's cost a fortune and taken years.
If it's got to be a V8 - look to Lexus and BMW - about 300 horses for about 2 grand - ultimate reliability too.

Chevy LS1 - there was a time when these were affordable but not now.
Both Tony and myself can tell you what a monster this one is. You can see a Camaro in the picture below
That's a Z28 LS1 with a 6 speed manual - 340 bhp and maybe 170 top speed - properly quick and the sound is adictive
Could be yours if you have a spare 9 large.

Cosworth 16V turbo - can be expensive but the results can be spectacular. Not too bad to do I would think.
Very easy to soak up 3-4 grand and still not make 300.

Anyway - think that's quite enough for now - it's up to you.
Just some of what we do