Power Steering

General Chat About Steering.

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

zogzog60

Power Steering

Post by zogzog60 »

Hi there, Im just new to driving in general being 18, but i have always admired the capri, a guy down the road had one, i while it was a rust bucket and all my friends laughed at it, i always saw the potential. So now ive decided to take the plunge as im going to buy a capri and try and restore it. getting to the point, my question is, do the capris have power steering, and if not, would it be possible/practical/worthwhile to install it, based on the fact it is all i have even known??
Thanks fo any help, Jamie.

IanD
Junior
Junior

Post by IanD »

Hi Jamie, welcome to the world of good Ole Old Skool driving :wink: The only Capri's to have power steering were the 3.0L and the 2.8i and even then I think ther early MK I's had standard rack and pinion. 1.3L,1.6L and 2.0L's don't have it fitted as standard, but it can be fitted using some parts from a 2.0L Sierra I think. Give Neil at Caprisport a tinkle, I think they've done the conversion in the Past.

RWD.........you gotta love it ! :mrgreen:
Keeping The Legend Alive ! ....

zogzog60

Post by zogzog60 »

Thanks, i'll do that! If anyone has had this done, did it cost them much. I noticed on caprisport that they were selling uprated engines with power steering unit attached, would this be a better buy overall?

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

You need to decide what you want to achieve from the car and how realistic that is compared to your ability, facilities and budget.

The forum is the place to get the info but without the space to work or the money to spend, it's not going to help much.

Right now - the easy option is the 2.9 EFI - Granada / Sierra engine on a 2.8 box. If you are up for a bit of stripping, the Sierra 4x4 is pile of useful and ebay-able bits. If you pay about £400, you could sell enough parts to get the engine free. We will always pay £100 for a 2.9 4x4 box and you should expect the diff to raise the same or more. Then there's the trim, suspension etc and they are covered in useful platic clips and screws.

This has to be one of the cheapest ways to a quick relyable car. You just have to be prepared to spend the time.
Just some of what we do