how do you change the clutch

General Chat About Drivetrain.

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

freelandingman

how do you change the clutch

Post by freelandingman »

hi there everyone just a quick question,how easy is it to change the clutch on a 2.8i, mine starts to slip a bit after a bit of drifting and the odd burnout,think i might go for one of those organic ones

OLD SKOOL KID
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OLD SKOOL KID »

How easy depends on your definition of easy takes about me about 6 hrs as long as you have a trolley jack and most important a clutch alignment tool you can get one from most accessory shops remember to put the pressure plate the right way. :roll: I start by removing the gear leaver( while your still clean) then jack the rear up remove the prop remembering to have a good plastic bag and some tape to seal off the rear of the gearbox to stop oil spilling out everywhere then undo everything ,the trolley jack is for supporting the gearbox while removing It you can do the removal and installation on your own but if you get so help its 3 times faster. But after all said if you take it to good garage they will put it up on ramps use a gearbox cradle change the oil and you should still get it done for about £100 labour charge. Your choice.
Good luck.
Never Drive Faster That Your Angal Can Fly......:-)

spookie

Post by spookie »

The Capri is relitivly easy to do. RWD Fords are one of the simplest cars to change a clutch on. Another way if there is two of you is to remove and refit the box, is to have somone in the car with a rope around the tailshaft housing and support it this way. Then as you are under the car you just need to lift and locate the front of the box.
Bear in mind it will only slide back on if it is completely level and square with the engine.
As I have done a few in my time I use and old input shaft out of an old gear box to line up the clutch, and an old propshaft end to keep in the oil.
The boxes are quite heavy at the front due to the cast steel bell housing.

freelandingman

Post by freelandingman »

ok cheers for the advice guys,does anybody know a good clutch to get,

spookie

Post by spookie »

Borg and Beck are usually very good.

last18

Post by last18 »

Faced the same problem, you need good advice on this topic.