OIL.. Whats your opion

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

OLD SKOOL KID
Contributor
Contributor

OIL.. Whats your opion

Post by OLD SKOOL KID »

Oil tried a few over the years.GTX ok in its day, Mobil 1 when it first came out £30 for 4 ltrs.down side for me ( piper oil pump packed up when using this) GTX magnatec tried it for a while,then told by one of my oval racer friends told me "that green s*** blown up a few XR2 around here" stopped using it,then found out about Valvoine VR1 20/50 tried it liked it now use nothing else even with a modified engine,Personaly the way I see is this VRI is a 20/50 as recomended by Fords and Haynes when the car was new, Valvoline has been around for abt 100 yrs and VR1 is used by Nascar racers,if they use it while pushing nearly 200 mph.should be ok for 150 on the M25.. On starting tickover apx 80 psi - 20-30 psi when hot runs a abt 60.psi on the move (2/3 up the gauage) also VR1 is sold in 5 ltr cans giving enough for an oil change and a bit left over.all for about £16.apx it works 4 me..
I do think that the modern engine oils with their lower viscosity, 0/30-upwards,are more suitable 2 moden engine and their build tolerances, In the old days 50 Tho + or - was ok but not any more quality control is a lot tighter.
If any of you need any more info on VRI try this http://www.valvoline.com/
Whats your opion

Never Drive Faster That Your Angal Can Fly......:-)

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner
Location: Compton, Nr Newbury, Berkshire Drives: Supercharged 4.6 efi V8 Capri

Post by Coops »

i use lucas 20w/50 fully synthetic racing oil
www.lucasoil.co.uk
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Rotrex C38-91 supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost.
Sponsored by: www.extraefi.co.uk & www.interpart.biz & www.caprisport.com
Web site: http://www.capriracing.co.uk

spookie

Post by spookie »

Still using the old GTX in my engines. Never had a problem and engines are always nice and clean when ever I have rebuilt one. Cooked a pinto engine twice using this oil, once when the rad water froze and second when the thermostat failed shut. Fixed the faults and replaced the oil for new and that engine is still running today without being rebuilt.
Bought around 40L when my local Tesco had it priced up wrong.

chiefcapri2.8

Post by chiefcapri2.8 »

Hi guys, i read this one with interest as i've always wondered what oil i should be running! I originally started using 20w-50 when i first bought my car, i'd had the engine rebuilt and so just followed the ford guidelines and used the original spec oil. The engine lasted 25,000miles, which turned out to be a faulty batch of cam followers from the Kent cam i'd had installed at the rubuild but i always wondered about the oil. Since rebuiliding it the 2nd time i've been running on good quality 10w-40, usually Shell stuff swiped from work! Touch wood everythings been perfect since then.... i've just jinxed it now haven't i!
Interestingly though, i followed the link to the valvoline site, and if you go through their own 'Oil Advisor' link, they actually recommend either 5w-30 or 10w-40 for the Capri! 20w-50 isn't even mentioned for higher mileage examples!

OLD SKOOL KID
Contributor
Contributor

20/50-10/30 my pr

Post by OLD SKOOL KID »

Appreciate your comments one of the reasons I use the 20/50 not the 10/40 is the heat range is a lot better and as my engine is a V with nos :lol: etc it tends to run a bit on the warm side.
Approvals/Performance Levels Viscosity Grade/Other
Test 10W-30 20W-50
Vis @ 100°C (cSt) 11.5 20.5
Vis @ 40°C (cSt) 77.0 181.8
Viscosity Index 143 132
Spec Gravity @ 60°F 0.8722 0.888

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

I run with Comma 10W40 Semi in both Capris. TT recommend Shell Gemini for the 2.8i turbos, but I don't think it's available anymore. The 2.1 has a HC/HP oil pump and with 20W50 it runs stupidly high pressure... even with 10W40 it's off the guage when cold and runs just over where a standard one would with 20W50 when warm.

OLD SKOOL KID
Contributor
Contributor

stupidly high pressure

Post by OLD SKOOL KID »

Must agree stupidly high oil pressure when coupled to hc/hp pump(been there done that) but after fitting oil cooler and about 2 mtrs of pipe its more back to normal.
That is how it is with the valvoline oil can`t say about others.

capriagain

Oil what's your opinion

Post by capriagain »

On a standard 2.8 with 84k on the clock where do you think the oil pressure guage should be showing, when the engine is up to temp using 20/50 . At tick over mine is about one line up from the bottom and below half way with a few revs on the engine. Do we only worry about oil pressure because we have a guage?