Is it possible to fit a BOB 24v Cosworth with BOB ecu?

Please let us know here of any parts needed to fit other engines into Capri shells, and any other modifications needed,

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

LEDFUT

Is it possible to fit a BOB 24v Cosworth with BOB ecu?

Post by LEDFUT »

Hello all,

I have a 2.8i Capri which I'm fitting a BOB 24v Cosworth engine into. Is it actually possible to use the BOB ecu?

If yes, what would be involved?

If no, has anyone got a BOA ecu for sale? Cash, paypal, credit card all currently burning a hole in my pocket.

Thanks

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

BOB ECU

Post by csr »

No - is the simple answer

The BOB is EEC 5 which has sensors after the cats.

There's another issue too - the auto box is electronic controlled and coupled to the engine ECU

If you use the cats and the auto box - it's fine but I'm guessing that's not your plan.

I'll have a word with Neil - think there might be some spare BOA stuff - wiring and ECU maybe - can't promise anything but I'll have a look.
Just some of what we do

LEDFUT

Post by LEDFUT »

Thanks for that.

I found a guy who converted his BOB 24v scorpio to use a manual gearbox using a few simple circuits to trick the ecu into thinking it is still attached to the autobox. So this I have sorted.

As for the Cats, I plan to cut these out and rebuild the down pipes while retaining the lambda sensors in about the same position at the end of the downpipe. Do you see any issues with this?

Thanks

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Exhaust sensors

Post by csr »

Not sure how it will run.

The ECU needs to see a major improvement in the emissions on the second sensor.

By doing what you plan, the readings will be the same, so it will assume the cat has failed.
Quite what it will do about it - not sure.

I'm currently doing some work with the Jaguar 4 litre supercharged engine which has much the same layout.
To get rid of the cats, we're looking at using resistors to give the correct signal so the ECU assumes all is fine.
Just some of what we do

LEDFUT

Post by LEDFUT »

I've heard that there is some redundancy amongst the 4 sensors, so whether they have any real impact on performance I'm not sure.

I did remove the cat from a BMW 318i(about the same age as a scorpio) which also has a sensor before and after the cat. I left the sensors in place and simply swapped the cat for a straight through pipe. We then used the car in the Exeter trial which is a 24hr road rally with about 12 off road up hill stages. Over the 400 miles the engine didn't miss a beat from stop start road driving to being thrashed up muddy green lanes.

Maybe on more recent cars these sensors have a greater effect on performance but it seems the effects are negligible on 90's cars, would be interesting to know what effect they actually have on the engine though, if anyone knows?

Have you tried to run the jag with all sensors fitted as normal and just the cats swapped out?