Problems with caprisport brakes

General Chat About Brakes, Wheels & Suspension

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

scherrit

Problems with caprisport brakes

Post by scherrit »

Hi,
I have bought all the kit (over a few months)for a caprisport brake set-up on my Laser- recommended master cylinder, all the brackets, discs etc but supplied my own sourced calipers (Brembo at front and Sierra for vented discs at back) as well as their overhaul kits, wheel studs etc

I have been trying to get some information out of these guys to help me complete my project but no reply so asking here if someone can help, seems like quite a few people here have used their brakes.

1) the rear caliper is sitting a fraction (1 or 2mm) too outboard so the non- sliding part of the caliper assembly either scrapes or nearly scrapes on the disc bracket- I am thinking the disc needs a spacer or have I misassembled?

2) the (brookie 15 inch) rear wheels with 195/50/15 (I think= standard!) rubber are going to foul the body work- I am thinking i will need the arches rolled- anyone else experience this with this tyre combo and these brakes? Also will the front arches also need rolling?

3) the caprisport brake page does mention a handbrake cable kit/set- but I can't see it on their ebay pages again, anyone know what to buy /modify?

4) I bought the rear braided hose kit but can't honestly see which bits you are meant to replace, I haven't got enough hose to replace ALL the lines, so do you keep some of the steel (?) non flex lines????

Help would be very much appreciated!

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Brake problems

Post by csr »

looks like you've launched into something a bit beyond your ability.

If you're not getting answers to email questions, could be they're not being received.

If you're asking stupid questions, or not taking any notice of what you've been told, that too might be a reason.

Think I can help you with the points you raise here

1 it's well known that the distance between the disc an the bracket is 2 or 3mm smaller than the caliper casting.
If you'd asked about this, I'm sure they would have explained that the casting needs the 2-3mm removing to fit properly.
It's a simple grinder and file job.

2 The tyres even at 205 do not hit the arches unless the car is too low

3 They do a hand brake cable kit which is a modified 4x4 Sierra cable.
It looks expensive which I guess is why it's not on ebay - people always think they know better.
By the time you get a 4x4 cable and get it modified and the extra bit made by the Speedy cables muppets, you'll have lost the will to live
and whatever the kit costs, will look very good value indeed.

4 further evidence you're out of your depth.
Again, if you'd asked, you would have been told what you needed.
I'm guessing you have a length of hose and some fittings?
You need to make 2 hoses from the body to the calipers - the rest is hard line - copper and a T piece.
Think this is available as a complete kit but not 100% sure
Just some of what we do

scherrit

Post by scherrit »

Hi,
thanks for the info, and yes I'm pretty sure that this job is within my ability, just the first time I've done this particular brake job with these particular components.

Re: emails I have asked what I think are fair questions, and sent these to the button83 email address- is this right or wrong?

1) when you say "well known" where is this info? on the web, supplied with the "kit"? Anyhoo, I will see if I can get a mate to mill the 2mm off, that seems the neatest.

2) I have single leafs on the back and that set up was fine with the 13 inch wheels and what was on them- 185's I think? so not quite sure why the new set up looks like it will touch?

3) thx for the tip- I see on the caprisport site that they used to do a pre-modified cable- is this still the case? Apologies but I can't see it on their eBay shop- I am more than happy to pay for all the Caprisport gear as it should go together in the most straight forward way, saves time messing with working out which master cyl to use etc etc- I am using all their gear for this conversion.

4) I have asked (repeatedly), which I why I am posting here. I bought their rear axle disc conversion braided line set and asked about it- but got no response to 2 emails and a phone call. I will buy a copper line kit from them as well, then, the existing hard line is no good for the new set up. I've got a sierra proportioning valve/pressure limiter coming from eBay so I need to allow for that too.

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

rear brake pipes etc

Post by csr »

Just had a chat with Neil -

Don't know why they have not seen emails but that's not un-common.

Due to previous problems, they have a pretty serious ant-virus firewall thing
but he suspects that BT might be an issue as they don't even get to see anything never mind fishing it out of the suspect pile.

I'm guessing you're the chap from the Newbury area?

There was mention of a number from that area calling but no messages and at one point, kids screaming and dogs barking so couldn't understand any way.

You have to understand, these are busy people, they take on too much if you ask me so if you're not easy to help, listen to what you're told etc.
you will drop to the bottom of the list.

Not everything is on ebay because some things just don't sell.
There's also the charges to think about too.
If you phone Neil at about 8 ish in an evening with you're questions, and I mean specific questions not "I just bought this car - what engine should I use?"

This is what you need to plumb your rear brakes -
And don't go buy these bits on the ebay shop - send a message with this list and you'll get a deal on the package "off the grid"
which will save you a few quid.

You already have the hose so you need -

2 x female fitting
1 x T piece
3 x male fittings to fit the T
Think the rear needs 1200mm of pipe but check
Get the little bent tag thing for the other side too.

Think most of this is listed as a kit but again check

I'm told hand brake cables will be a couple of weeks and don't come with the 2nd side fixing - it's quite easy to make so don't worry about that.

No credit cards any more - just paypal - apparently, was a waste of money. £40 a month and some months didn't get used.
Paypal has given the greedy banks a kicking on that one too.
Just some of what we do

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Hello Scherrit,

I had the same issue with Caprisport, no answers on emails or phone calls, furthermore I don't think you need stupid comments or rough answers from another forum member.

The Caprisport system is crap, the adaptors are too weak and are not properly machined, any housemaid can do a better job ! The system they offer is not complete, lots of bits an pieces missing. There's a very easy and cheap method of fixing the hand brake problem and all othet issues.

Send me a personal email and I will send you detailed pictures and descriptions of what you need to do.

Honestly I don't understand why people deal with the crap they get here !

Patrick