Type 9 gearbox to 24v cosworth engine, what clutch?

Please let us know here of any parts needed to fit other engines into Capri shells, and any other modifications needed,

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

LEDFUT

Type 9 gearbox to 24v cosworth engine, what clutch?

Post by LEDFUT »

Hello all,

I've got the 24v engine, cologne(2.8i capri) flywheel and type 9 gearbox. Do I just use the capri clutch with a cosworth friction plate or do I need the whole cosworth clutch?

Thanks

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Cosworth & type 9 - bad idea

Post by csr »

You'll get conflicting information on this but when you get to the real truth,
people only fit the type 9 because they don't have the funds or the
ability to fit the Mt 75.

You can just chuck it on and hope for the best - 2.8 flywheel and clutch - but there will be problems.

The tin gasket that fits between the engine and box must be 2.9 4x4 Sierra - use the 2.8 and it will foul the flywheel.

Without the speed sensor, the engine does not run at it's best - yes it will just about work and you can get over the stalling problems
but the fact is, it's not happy.

After you've got over all this, a few thousand miles if you're lucky and the box will start complaining.

If you like changing gearboxes, then way to go.

If you would rather just do the job once and know it's going to be sound, spend the time to do the MT 75 - you will be glad you did.
Just some of what we do

LEDFUT

Post by LEDFUT »

Thanks for this.

Yep, using the type 9 for now due to funds. And getting the engine in the car and running is the main priority, in comparison a gearbox swap is just a bit of nut and bolt action.

As for the speed sensor issue I've found an aftermarket sensor that outputs a Hall signal like the scorpio's autobox. The sensor can also be fitting inline so after speedy cables modify the end of my speedo cable I can still retain the capri's analogue speedo.

Is it true that you can only use the late model rev counters(white backings) with ECU's?

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

24V rev counter

Post by csr »

Is it true that you can only use the late model rev counters(white backings) with ECU's?
Yes - there is a green wire from the EDIS6 which is connected in the same way you would from the coil.
Just some of what we do

LEDFUT

Post by LEDFUT »

Thanks.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a late model rev counter(1986 onwards) with the white back casing then, as I'm pretty sure my 1984 has a black rear casing?

LEDFUT

What oil filter arm to use?

Post by LEDFUT »

Does anyone know what oil filter arm you need to use so that the clutch cable can be fitted, the standard arm on the engine blocks the way?

Thanks

last18

Post by last18 »

Thanks your information helped me alot.