low oil pressure when idling

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake.

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

calumlamont

low oil pressure when idling

Post by calumlamont »

hello
my beloved money-pit of a capri just got serviced last weekend and i've noticed the oil pressure is really low when idling, goes up to about halfway when driving along, but really doesn't sound healthy at all when it's just waiting at the lights etc.

I checked and reset the timing at the weekend, and the oil level seems OK - certainly wasn't a problem before I had the service.

I notice that it is idling slightly lower than it was before (under 1000rpm), but I@m sure the timing is oK (I set it at 6 degrees, is that right for 2.0 pinto??

Suggestions? More oil?? or did i screw up the timing?

spookie

Post by spookie »

Hi, do you know who did the service. Have they used a synthetic or semi synthetic oil in your engine? Pinto engines need to run on mineral oil 10/40. Synthetic oils are too thin for pinto's and also too thin to work properly lubricating the cam shaft. A sympton of thin oil would be low oil pressure. Timing should be set at 4 btdc for unleaded.

calumlamont

Post by calumlamont »

hi spookie cheers for reply. guy who did it has been working with pintos for ages. the 2.0 runs on leaded fuel and has done 111k miles - I read somewhere that low oil pressure isn't too much of a problem in high mileage pinto when idling although it makes it a bit worrying!

having said that, i drove her last night, and after a shaky start she was running much better and the oil pressure a little less erratic. Is that normal??!!

spookie

Post by spookie »

Hi, I guess he knows his stuff if he has been around Pinto engines for a while. I fyou think it is ok then just keep driving it. Seems strange you said it is differant after the service. Maybe it is just the new oil, normally the oil will settle a couple of weeks after the change.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”