2.9 COSWORTH

Please let us know here of any parts needed to fit other engines into Capri shells, and any other modifications needed,

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

2.9cosworthcapri

2.9 COSWORTH

Post by 2.9cosworthcapri »

hi all ive just bouth a 84 1.6 capri im hoping to put a 2.9 cosworth in it can any1 give me any advice thank u very much

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner
Location: Compton, Nr Newbury, Berkshire Drives: Supercharged 4.6 efi V8 Capri

Post by Coops »

Hi and welcome.
many on here have done the 2.9 cossie conversion,
also CSR from caprisport is on here, no doubt a few of the members including csr will be along to assist soon
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Rotrex C38-91 supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost.
Sponsored by: www.extraefi.co.uk & www.interpart.biz & www.caprisport.com
Web site: http://www.capriracing.co.uk

2.9cosworthcapri

cosworth capri

thanks for the quick response ive just got the 2.9 engine cut out the battery tray and got the 2.8 cross member and rack 1 of the pipes on the rack has broke does any1 no if the 3 litre pipes will fit the 2.8 fanks

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

First thing you should do is look at www.caprisport.com

Go to both the 24v and the 12v 2.9 pages - lots of pictures and info

There are loads of old wives tales about these so be prepared to wade through the cow poo. Looking at more stuff on internet will just make this worse.

Talk to Neil at caprisport - ask a spesific question, you'll get the answer.

There is loads of stuff to know a general question like "any advice" is not going to do it.

It's not cheap and easy if you want relyability. Yes you can throw it together but things will start going wrong quite quickly.

The 24V kicks out torque and power in a savage manner if you want it to so if i can give you just 1 pice of sound advice, it's get the MT75 gearbox.
If you use the type 9, it's like driving a hand granade with the pin out - there will be a terminal bang at some point.

If you want to get a look at a 24V Capri, Tony and Me are over at Caprisport helping out most weekends.
Just some of what we do

2.9cosworthcapri

mt75

i no its proberly a silly question but i have a mt75 gearbox from a 2 litre sierra is this the 1 u mean thank u

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

When you know the answer it is a stupid question.
If you don't know about all the different MT 75 variations, it's a fair question.

Have a look at the Caprisport 24V pages. There are plenty of gearbox pictures so you can see exactly what you need.
Just some of what we do

kev_v6

fitting 2.9 cosworth

Post by kev_v6 »

this is relativley easy if you get the right bits first
1: 2.8 cross member
2: 2.8 engine mounts
3: gearbox, if money is tight a type 9 will do if you dont constantly thrash
it, all you need is agood type 9 preferably from a 2.8, a 2.8 bellhousing
fly wheel and clutch to suit. Using a type 9 means original prop will fit
4: 2.8 powersteering rack

just fit the crossmember and rack, assemble engine and gearbox(remove sparkplugs and turn engine by hand to make sure clutch works) then drop into car. For exhausts use granada down pipes(chop a 1 inch section out of each or they will hit every speed bump there is) and the rear and middle section of the capriclub exhausts, this should line up and only require two straight sections of pipe to join the two. For wiring connect the brain to the granada loom along with the ignition module, then connect all sensors on the engine (throttle sensor, air flow, lambda sensors etc) all plugs in the loom that dont connect get cut off, along with the egr and emissions stuff. diagrams can be found at various capri or tvr websites.
Fuel is then the next thing to worry about, easy way is a 2.8 fuel tank and pump, or fit external pump and swirl pot.

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

There are a few points in the above post which are not entirely correct.

If your finances dictate that you have to stick with the hopeless type 9, it must be from a 2.8 or a Sierra diesel - all other variations have the short input shaft which will not reach the bearing in the crank.

The 2.8 flywheel is fine but fit a Cosworth cluch kit or problems will arise.

Using the type 9 means no speed sensor so as a temporary fix, adjust the trottle stop open slightly.

Exhausts - don't get me started - both the available big bore systems are absolute rubbish from a fitting point of view.

Simply cutting of unused EGR plugs is unwise to say the least.
Some have ignition fed supplies and on early looms, cutting the plug off disables the throttle sensor. Before you do anything. Read and understand the wiring diagram
Just some of what we do

2.9cosworthcapri

v6

hi ive got all my stuff togetha now ie
2.8 cross member
2.8 engine mounts
gearbox n prop shaft unfortinalty only a type 9 but will b keepin my eye out for a mt75 :P
fly wheel and clutch to suit.
2.8 powersteering rack
2.8 tank annd pump (just need the line from the pump to the filter
finaly figured out the wiring if ive done it was so easy 1nce i had a multimeter and a diagram off here
just got to paint the engine bay amd get a hoist n fit it all will keep u all posted on how i get on thanks for all u help :D

kev_v6

cosworth 24v

Post by kev_v6 »

the speed sensor issue is one i still do not fully understand, i have heard that without it the engine will stall when trying to tickover, but mine idles perfectly (even with the throttle stop turned back so it does not touch) and when driven produces enough power to spin the back tyres in third gear at fourty mph, i had an issue with rough running at low revs but it was a vaccuum leak at the inlet manifold, drawing in excess air. :?:

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

Is the park / newtral wire to the ECU eathed?
Just some of what we do

ianturbo

Re: cosworth 24v

Post by ianturbo »

kev_v6 wrote:the speed sensor issue is one i still do not fully understand, i have heard that without it the engine will stall when trying to tickover, but mine idles perfectly (even with the throttle stop turned back so it does not touch) and when driven produces enough power to spin the back tyres in third gear at fourty mph, i had an issue with rough running at low revs but it was a vaccuum leak at the inlet manifold, drawing in excess air. :?:
Mine cuts out now and again but not all time ,seems to be after a long run ,say motorway and like but in town its fine ??
ian

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Post by mfw898y »

My granada cossy auto did exactley the same thing!! Just seemed to cut out for no reason when pulling up after a run. It started back up fine.

capri24

24v capri could'nt be better

Post by capri24 »

Caprisport are very usefull! look what i have acheived...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHLART5hLVE

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

Of course I can't condone this king of thing

but it is fun :lol:

How about some engine bay pictures?
Just some of what we do