Starter motor nightmare!!

General Chat About Electrics,
And Ignition Systems.

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

Leecapri

Starter motor nightmare!!

Post by Leecapri »

I'm approaching the end of my teather with my starter motor.

Starting from the top... the car was running but stopped, a faulty starter motor was diagonosed, i got the existing one reconditioned and whacked it back on with a new battery, found that it wouldn't start but the solenoid only clicked initially but not everytime i turned the key.

After fiddling about with the connections on the back and snapping off one of the posts #!@! i ordered a new one and stuck it on... again same problem. I've tested all the wires connected to the starter and all are showing 12v, 8v and 2v with the ignition turned on.

Is there a fuse or relay that could have blown, possibly an earth i can check??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner
Location: Compton, Nr Newbury, Berkshire Drives: Supercharged 4.6 efi V8 Capri

Post by Coops »

right,
have someone turn the key while you test the small wires on the starter with a meter,
you should have one wire that is 12v when the key is in the crank (start) position,
IF not, wiggle the two large conectors or remove and check (pull off) on the drivers inner wing near the fuse box, ones red and ones black if im correct, you may have a dirty connection there,
Also check the ignition switch, i had a fault with mine where it was arcing out in the ignition loom plug under the dash,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Rotrex C38-91 supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost.
Sponsored by: www.extraefi.co.uk & www.interpart.biz & www.caprisport.com
Web site: http://www.capriracing.co.uk

Leecapri

Post by Leecapri »

Thanks alot for the reply, it turned out to be a dodgy earth..... a schoolboy error I know but what are the chances of it going at the same time as the starter??? live and learn I suppose!