Mk 1 Capri 24V

General Chat About Brakes, Wheels & Suspension

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

Caprigt

Mk 1 Capri 24V

Post by Caprigt »

Good Evening All....

I hope this is in the correct section....

I have a Mk 1 Capri fitted with a 24V Cos & an MT75 Box. I must say I am very impressed on the driveability of the Cosworth over my last Essex V6...

I've have a couple of questions, hope somebody can help....

Brakes:
Currently my car has 13" Wheels. My Front Shocks have 170 Llbs Springs (1" Lower) with adjustable shocks. I have Hi-Spec 4 pots on these (Each Piston 38.6mm)and 265mm discs. The rear is standard 3.0 Drums.

I am thinking of fitting 15 x 8 " Minilites so that I can increase the size of my discs to improve the stopping. I am thinking of using 300mm Brakes up Front & possibly Ford Focus Calipers with a rear disc conversion at the rear

By changing to this brake set up, would I have a better braking over the High Spec Calipers...

Rear Axle:
I am currently running a 3.09 final drive. I also have a 3.44 & 3.75 Atlas Axles in the shed. I intend using this car for weekend drives & some track action. In Ireland, we have very limited motorways so cruising speed is 60 MPH in Ireland.

Which ratio would you recommend?.

Adjustable TCA
Would you recommend these and If so, Should I set them to 1.5 Negative Camber ???

Can about modifying the Anti Roll bar to improve the Castor... Anybody try this...

Thanks in Advance

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Mk 1 Capri 24V

Post by csr »

Caprigt wrote:Good Evening All....

I hope this is in the correct section....

I have a Mk 1 Capri fitted with a 24V Cos & an MT75 Box. I must say I am very impressed on the driveability of the Cosworth over my last Essex V6...

I've have a couple of questions, hope somebody can help....

Brakes:
Currently my car has 13" Wheels. My Front Shocks have 170 Llbs Springs (1" Lower) with adjustable shocks. I have Hi-Spec 4 pots on these (Each Piston 38.6mm)and 265mm discs. The rear is standard 3.0 Drums.

I am thinking of fitting 15 x 8 " Minilites so that I can increase the size of my discs to improve the stopping. I am thinking of using 300mm Brakes up Front & possibly Ford Focus Calipers with a rear disc conversion at the rear

By changing to this brake set up, would I have a better braking over the High Spec Calipers...

Rear Axle:
I am currently running a 3.09 final drive. I also have a 3.44 & 3.75 Atlas Axles in the shed. I intend using this car for weekend drives & some track action. In Ireland, we have very limited motorways so cruising speed is 60 MPH in Ireland.

Which ratio would you recommend?.

Adjustable TCA
Would you recommend these and If so, Should I set them to 1.5 Negative Camber ???

Can about modifying the Anti Roll bar to improve the Castor... Anybody try this...
There's a good reason why the likes of Ferrari, Aston Martin, Jaguar etc use Brembo rather than Hi-spec or Wilwood

If you haven't already guessed, it's beacuse they're a bit crap.

Look up www.caprisport.com Their Brembo 300 gen 2 system use a 300mm disc with the Fiat / Alfa / Focus callipers.

You will need a rear disc package which they also supply.

The difference will be mind blowing - and I'm not joking - if Tony sees this, I think he might
have a few words to contribute regarding the Brembo kit on his V8.

3.44 works best

Go for rose jointed adjustable track arms - absolutely brilliant.

Don't mess about with the anti-roll-bar - go to eccentric top mounts - much safer.

Have a look at the 24V Register page - look at the spec on the Caprisport track car - copy that and you have the best handling Capri ever.
Again - tony might have something to say on that subject too!
Just some of what we do

Gerry302

15" minilights

Post by Gerry302 »

Hi Capright,

I intend to put lbw 15" minilights on my mk1 facelift. I noticed that the offset for 7x15 rims is 0 and I think this will cause a 205mm tyre to touch the body. Any advise please?
CURRENTLY BUILDING A FORD CAPRI 1973 V8 302 CI. ENGINE CONVERSION BASED ON PERANA, SHELL BASED ON RS3100