Which master cylinder

General Chat About Brakes, Wheels & Suspension

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

markyboy

Which master cylinder

Post by markyboy »

Hi, I'm upgrading to gtr260 and rear discs for 13" 7 spoke wheels and I've read a lot about master cylinders. I have two questions, first Which one for front and rear discs? I've seen reccomendations for granada 23.8mm and land rover 25.4mm and 26.9mm.
secondly with the gtr260 front and standard drum rears, will the 2.8i master cylinder do the job?
Thanks guys

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

with standard drums, the 2.8i (22.2mm) will do. I'm using the Granada MK2 23.8mm one and it's fine. Pedal travel is about the same as a standard 2.8i system.

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

The stock 22mm cylinder is not really going to do the job. You can get away with it but you will have more pedal travel and you won't be happy with it.
As Colin suggests, the 23.8 is the way to go if you have a 2.8 servo. This is the size that Ford use when the 60mm piston is on the front and drums on the rear.
When you go to discs on the back too, it's time to go 2 litre servo and a 25mm cylinder. The 27 is only sensible for track use. The pedal is well firm and a bit hard work for pleasant road use.
Just some of what we do

ugly

Post by ugly »

OK question.
why go to the 2ltr servo when you have the 2.8 servo?
shouldn't the 2.8 work better?

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

If you're new to the Capri world, I guess that might be a fair assumtion.

As it turns out, the 2.8 and the 2 litre do exactly the same job.

The reason for using a 2 litre servo is that larger bore master cylinders -
25mm and beyond - fit. Something you need if you go to discs on the rear.

23.8 is as large as it gets with a 2.8 servo. Fine for the front only up-grade but no good for rear discs.
Just some of what we do

FordCapri73

Post by FordCapri73 »

Hi Everyone,
I have been reading the various posts on Master Cylinder choices for a while now.

I am curious why someone would spend extra money to switch Servos just to use a Land Rover MC?

The 2.8 Servo does the same job as the 2.0 Servo so that isn't an issue.

The only difference I see is that the 2.8 Servo is made by ATE and the 2.0 is made by Girling.

Wouldn't it be more cost effective (and a lot less of a hassle) to stick with the 2.8 ATE Servo and just get a Mercedes 25mm ATE Master Cylinder. They even have the dual outlet for the front so an expensive adapter block isn't needed.

Am I missing something?

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

The Land Rover cylinders are quite cheap and easy to get.
If you have a 2 litre servo - it's easy.

If you you have a 2.8, then sounds like the Merc option is good as long as price and availability are sensible.

Think you need to tell us a bit more and maybe some pictures if you can.

This forum is very much about helping others and learning new stuff rather than just shooting down
those who aren't in the clique.

Some other forums seem to worship "turd polishers" at the expense of common sense - what's that all about?

Taking your time and producing very nice work like Tony seems to be frowned upon?
Like their oppinion matters in the real world.

Sorry - got a bit "off topic"

What I mean is - any useful info will be gratefully recived here.
We're all up for learning more from new ideas and info.
Just some of what we do