Suspension dilema!

General Chat About Brakes, Wheels & Suspension

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

chiefcapri2.8

Suspension dilema!

Post by chiefcapri2.8 »

Hi Guys, i really hoping that someone can help me with my suspension setup on my 2.8 Capri i'm rebuilding, i'm a bit stuck and any advice, thoughts, experiences from you guys would be greatly appreciated!!
So here's the problem...
I've got a 2.8 Injection Special, which i believe were 1" lower than other models as standard. I've then lowered it another inch with blocks on the rear and 190lb, -1" springs on the front. Come the last MOT i was told that the rubber top mounts has excessive play and was advised to replace them, so i went for the option of some roller bearing top mounts.
The problem is the roller bearing top mounts have raised the front of the car an inch, so to level it back out i'd have to fit -2" springs.... Is this a safe/sensible thing to do?? I'm a bit dubious of lowering the front another inch because my suspension travel will be virtually gone and the inserts will be almost bottomed-out!
Has any body got -2" springs on their car? What are they like? Or are they going to be ridiculously hard for the road?
The only other thing i was thinking was going to coil-overs, but is this a bit overkill on a fast road car? My Capri isn't going to be raced, possibly a track day or 2, but it'll be my daily drive aswell.
Gaz coil-overs are well expensive, but am i right in thinking that with the spring platforms i can adjust the ride height to compensate for the top mounts?
If i have to go coil-over, how good are the DIY kits from RallyDesign or BurtonPower? Has anybody had any experience with them?

Sorry it such a long query guys, any help/comments would be greatly appreciated, i'm desperate to finish the car for summer! :D
Thanks, Keith

r2d2hp

Post by r2d2hp »

I have exactly the same problem as you. I fitted -2 inch coil overs and now my shocks bottom out so have a Delmer.

Do I refit -1 inch or look at inserts that are shorter and then reduce the length of the strut thats its going into.

Does anyone else have any thoughts.