Lowering

General Chat About Brakes, Wheels & Suspension

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Lowering

Post by mfw898y »

Hi all, I've just fitted -1" springs to my laser and they seem to keep jumping and mis-aligning the steering as you turn the wheel. Is this a common thing and is there a simple solution?

Capri2.8i

Post by Capri2.8i »

Not common m8. When you fitted the new springs, did you fit the rubbers to the last few inches of the springs? Did you ensure the ends of the springs were located in the flats of the strut bases? Everything torqued up correctly once the weight of the car was on the springs?

John

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Post by mfw898y »

Thanks for the reply! Seated springs correctley and torqued on ground, although I didn't put the rubber covers on the new springs. Surely that can't be it? Why didn't the new springs come with them. I tried to pull the old ones off but came to the conclusion that they were bonded on as they wouldn't budge. I'll take the springs out again this weekend and have another look!

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

The problem is not with the spring.

You need to cover the pin and bearing surface of the top mount with copper grease.

Then you need to do up the strut top nut correctly - sounds like you have it too tight - so the top sping seat is locked solid and can't follow the spring.

Think there might be a torque setting in the Haynes Manual (Colin will know if there is)
We tend to go not much over finger tight then try the steering. If it's not tight enough, it will clonk.

The sleves are fixed to the springs but only by rust.
WD and a bit of violence will solve this. You should be able to swap them to your new spring which will help.
Just some of what we do

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

Spindle to top mount assy: 29 to 33 lb/ft, tightened with wheels straight ahead and weight of car resting on it's wheels, then locked by punching nut into groove using a 3mm (0.10") ball ended punch.

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Post by mfw898y »

Good point CSR. I did give them a paraniod extra turn just in case. Hope the rain holds off for Saturday then! Cheers for advice. Thanks for the Torque settings capri turbo.

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

How's that for service?

From memory I would guess that we may not do them up that tight.

Anyway, give it a go and if you still get a bit of wind up on the springs, back them off a bit.
Just some of what we do