GTR280 Brakes, pedal travel

General Chat About Brakes, Wheels & Suspension

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

Patrick

GTR280 Brakes, pedal travel

Post by Patrick »

Hello all,
I know this topic has been started a few times, I just want to relaunch it as I could not find any satisfying answers.
I installed the complete Caprisport 280 system with Rover cylinder,pressure bled the brake, I actually changed the Rover cylinder 3 times, the problem I still have and don't seem to get rid of is the extreme long brake pedal travel. On the brake test stand, they work extremely well, but the first 2 inches of brake pedal movement there is hardly any action, only once I get below mid-travel the brakes start to bite. All my friends said air in the system, so I pressure bled, also tried with pumping while pressure bleeding, same result ! Some people said damaged cylinder seals, so I changed the master cylinder 3 times (all new cylinder) same result ! There are no leaks in the system, all brake lines are new, and I don't know where to look anymore. I was going to switch to an Audi A6 Servo with a 23.8mm cylinder to see if that will cure the problem and they are more readily available as the Capri 2.0 servo. Any other advice would be very welcome.

Thanks, Patrick

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

Let's go back to basics here because you clearly have something wrong
and you can't see what - it will be obvious and please forgive me if
I sound like I'm treating you like an idiot - that's not the intention.
We just need to start at the beginning and go through everything.

What size is the master cylinder? lots of possibilities - are you sure you have the right one.

What fluid tank are you using?

Are the calipers fitted with the bleed screw at the top?
Sounds dum but people do fit then up-side-down

What's on the back? - have you checked it?

When you bleed it - do you keep getting air out?

How are the pipes connected?

If you can tell me the answers to these questions - I will have a solution for you.
Just some of what we do

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Hello, thanks for your reply. No offense taken, I have been working on Capris for 28 years now and I still learn every day ! I do the same with our Club members, I start from the beginning when someone is stuck as it's the easiest way to spot a mistake. To get back to your questions, here are the answers.

1: the master cylinder is the Rover 25mm, part number NRC8690.
2: the fluid tank is the original 2.8i
3: Calipers have the bleed screws upwards (on top) as air always goes up !
4: don't understand what you mean by " what's on the back" ?
5: there's no more air coming out while bleeding
6: front brakes are connected via the T connector on the master cylinder and the rear are connected via another T piece at the end of the brake fluid line on the rear axle.

I can send you pictures if that helps.

Cheers, Patrick

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

pedal travel issue

Post by csr »

Looks like you have everything as it should be.

Only two things to look at.

Pipes - the front calipers are supplied from the front of the cylinder -
furthest from the servo.

Rear from the closest to the servo.

Rear brakes - if you still have drums - they will need to be adjusted very carefully - most of the initial pedal travel is lost in the rear circuit.
Just some of what we do

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Hi, yes, brake lines are connected correctly, front brakes-front connection, rear brakes-rear connection. I have disks at the rear.