1.6 Pinto change to E-max.

Please let us know here of any parts needed to fit other engines into Capri shells, and any other modifications needed,

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

stozzo

1.6 Pinto change to E-max.

Post by stozzo »

I have changed the worn 137000 mile engine on my 1986 1.6 laser, for a unit from a low mileage 1985 sierra 1.6 E-max. I have found the cylinder head to be identical, but the block is 10mm higher. It must have a longer stroke, as "164" is cast into it (I presume this is its cubic capacity) with the Capri unit have just "16" cast to the right side of the block. I was unaware of this until it was fitted to the car and the Capri cam-belt and cover, would not fit. I initially panicked, thinking the air filter casing would rub against the bonnet, but it turned out to have adequate clearance. The only problem I now face is the front section of the exhaust pipe is touching to the bracket that supports the gearbox, due to the manifold sitting 10mm higher. The only two solutions I can think of are: removing the exhaust pipe and modify a bend using heat, or sourcing part to use as a spacer, between the manifold and down pipe and clamping together using longer bolts? Does anyone have any advice or thoughts to share?

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

Based on the block being taller, I would say its all 2 litre dimensions.

Check out a 2 litre down pipe or manifold.
Just some of what we do