2.9 ecu wiring

Please let us know here of any parts needed to fit other engines into Capri shells, and any other modifications needed,

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

2.9 ecu wiring

Post by mfw898y »

Hi all, have finally got round to fitting the 2.9 v6 into my 1.6 laser. Its all bolted up and turns over but Im having trouble finding the live and earth for the ECU. Can anyone help as the Haynes doesn't seem to show pin outs for the ECU.
Also, I've connected the negative side of the coil to the plug on the v6 loom and the pos side to a switched ignition live. Is this correct?

Thanks, Danny

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

Not at all sure you know what you are doing.

The loom you removed from the Granada or Sierra should have 2 relays added to it.

Would also be wise to add some fuses too.

The coil is powered from the original coil supply but you must remove the ballast resistor.
Black wire from ignition switch - will be up near the fuse box by the time you have traced the resistor and removed it.

You should have a main relay switched by the ignition which powers the ECU, injectors, air meters and ignition amp - black wires.

The second relay for the fuel pump should be powered from the ignition but the ECU provides the earth path - blue / red wire.

Both pin 30's (supply) from the battery with fuses.

The engine loom will also have rev counter - green, temp sender - brown / white and a green / black which is connected to the starter circuit.
Think this might not always be used.

You can ignore the oil pressure wire brown / green

Changer the temp sender on the engine to the original Capri one.
Just some of what we do

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Post by mfw898y »

You're quite right, I've no idea whats what with the wiring which is why I asked. I didn't remove the loom so I'm on the back foot straight away. Thanks for the help :wink: Ill let you know how i get on.

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Post by mfw898y »

Found this:

http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv

I assume by pin 30, you refer to the ECU pin for transmission indicated on this diagram. Why does this need to have +12v and why do you say "both pin 30s".
Cant get a spark using this setup although there is voltage switching on and off at the coil when turning over so I assume the ecu must have power.
The two relays you mention are on a seperate wire and dont seem to connect to the main loom :shock:

At a total loss now :cry:

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

When you get the relays you need, you will see that the pins are numbered.

30 = supply from battery
87 = out-put to what you are powering.
85 & 86 = switching circuit

Better still just send the loom to me and I'll sort it out for you.
Just some of what we do