Options for Killing all the birds with one really big stone

Please let us know here of any parts needed to fit other engines into Capri shells, and any other modifications needed,

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

en0mpb

Options for Killing all the birds with one really big stone

Post by en0mpb »

Hi there

I have a 2.8i S with about 130k on the clock and a plurality of ominus noises going on:
Whining diff (loud)
Tappets that won't shut up, despite adjustment
Engine knockng/rattling that neither I, nor my local garage recognise

I do, however, have a resprayed body in pretty good condition.

I'm looking for advice on my options.

Do I replace the diff, replace bits to stop the tappet noise and try and hunt out the knocking problem and fix it, at the end of which I have a fairly sorted 2.8i (the engine was bored and rebuilt 5yrs ago with new pistons, cam, timing gear a had a new prop and a nice magnex SS system added). It will still have high milage on most parts though and the fuel consumption to power outputs pretty poor.

Or do I look for a new engine, box combo and replace the prop and diff with it. If so any good suggestions?
I'd want a reliable engine, better parts availability, better performance (either less fuel or more go) and something that's not too involved to do the change (preferably copying someone elses successful swap so I don't discover a load of new problems).

Any suggestions? I don't mind spending a few quid if I can get a decent fast everyday car out of it.

Cheers
Matt

bortaf

Post by bortaf »

2.9 EFi from a granada, easy to fit and years ahead if the 2.8 MFi, unleaded safe, better fuel consumtion, easyer starting hot or cold, mor torque :D
MT75 is not a straight swap but is a better box than the Type 9 but if your box is ok stick with it :)

en0mpb

Post by en0mpb »

Fantastic

That's kinda what I wanted to hear as I've reached the same conclusion myself.

I've found an MT75 and custom prop, a replacement diff and am working on the 2.9EFi

I'll no doubt keep you updated by default, cos as soon as I get the bits I'll be stuck again!!

Cheers
Matt

en0mpb

Post by en0mpb »

Ok I'm uncertain on this 2.9 EFI conversion already. Can anyone tell me what cars have this engine?

I noticed 96 and 97 scorpios have a 2.9 12valve so was gonna find one of those as they're pretty cheap now and at only 10yrs old there's some good example out there. Is that the engine I want or do I need an older model? Also do these have the MT75 box in them?

Caprisport seem to use the old granadas and XR4x4's but it's harder to find a low milage one of those and obviously they're a good 5yrs older.

Cheers
Matt

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

Thinkyou may have spoken to Neil.

We use the Sierra 4x4 engines because we buy 4x4's for the gearboxes.

As it turns out - they seen to be much more spirited than the Granada engines we've seen.

There is something else we've noticed too. The later 12V which have no air meters are a bit slow on the throttle response. If you go the Scorpio route, this is the system you will get.

We only keep the very good low millage engines - anything over 90k or a bit lazy stays in the scrap shell.
Just some of what we do

bortaf

Post by bortaf »

en0mpb wrote:Ok I'm uncertain on this 2.9 EFI conversion already. Can anyone tell me what cars have this engine?

I noticed 96 and 97 scorpios have a 2.9 12valve so was gonna find one of those as they're pretty cheap now and at only 10yrs old there's some good example out there. Is that the engine I want or do I need an older model? Also do these have the MT75 box in them?

Caprisport seem to use the old granadas and XR4x4's but it's harder to find a low milage one of those and obviously they're a good 5yrs older.

Cheers
Matt
Dam ! :(
just scrapped a 75 thou 2.9 granny :roll:
left the lump in cos no-one wanted it (mind you i only offered it on every site OTHER than this one) all i removed was the loom for labling and selling on :cry: