Side moulding holes

General Chat About Body, Interior & Strengthening

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Side moulding holes

Post by mfw898y »

Hi all, I took off the plastic moulding on my laser to have it blown over, but the studs have corroded away. I now have holes down the side of the car and cant get new trim for love nor money. I've been told filler won't do and they will need welding up but this will mean major bodywork which is out of the question. Has anyone had and overcome this problem? I have "S" stripes ready to stick on but I dont think they will cover them up.
Many thanks in advance, Danny :P

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner
Location: Compton, Nr Newbury, Berkshire Drives: Supercharged 4.6 efi V8 Capri

Post by Coops »

Which studs you referring to mate?
the ones on the two doors? or the threaded studs on the front wing and rear wing mouldings?

i repaired my front and rear side mouldings with counter sunk 5mm stainless machine screws and araldite.
slip the head under where the old stud went, tap ally around head then araldite and leave, mine have been on the car for 5 yrs like this now. :D
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Rotrex C38-91 supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost.
Sponsored by: www.extraefi.co.uk & www.interpart.biz & www.caprisport.com
Web site: http://www.capriracing.co.uk

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Post by mfw898y »

Well I have studs on one door and holes on the other like the wings :?: The moulding are past salvage i think :cry: They are bent, thanks partly to me and partly to kids. Only the door ones have survived.

Mikecapri2.8i

Post by Mikecapri2.8i »

So the side molding on the door is held on with studs that are welded to the door? Do the studs just friction fit into the molding? I am looking at pulling the molding off and not sure how it comes off..

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner

Post by Coops »

them studs lock into a plastic clip which in turn lock into the back of the mouldings,
i think i undid the two screws (one front one at back of the moulding) and slid the moulding side ways and off the clips,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

Mikecapri2.8i

Post by Mikecapri2.8i »

thanks..that makes sense..so if the studs are broken off I could weld something in from the backside of the door, ie a similar sized bolt with the head on the inside of the door and the rest poking through..Cheers

danlaser

Post by danlaser »

V8 could you get a picture of how you filled in the holes? maybe a step-by-step. Id like to get my mouldings off and get a respray.

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner

Post by Coops »

filled the holes?
as in ont he doors,
if so i still have the mouldings on my car m8
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

danlaser

Post by danlaser »

oh damn yeah, i just read it properly when you said you fixed the studs i thought you meant fill the holes.
if anyone does have any pointers shout out loud.

chiefcapri2.8

Post by chiefcapri2.8 »

Hi danlaser,
I've taken the mouldings off on my car mate but unfortunately i don't have any pics of it!
The most important things is NOT just to fill the holes! The holes need welding up! Then skimming over with fine filler, sanding, priming, wet flatting and then spraying, etc, etc.
If you think about how crap the window seals are on Capris you can appreciate how much water actually ends up inside the door, hence the 6 or 7 drain holes along the bottom edge! Anyway, if you just used filler, water would soon find it's way in behind the filler. Car body filler is porous, the water would be absorbed, get behind the paint, start causing rust, and as water expands and contracts with temperature it would soon 'pop' the filler out of the hole leaving a right old rusty mess.
Sorry fella but it needs welding.
Regards,
Keith