General Chat About Body, Interior & Strengthening

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Door rigging

Post by mfw898y »

Hi all

Have just fitted a passenger side pattern wing as car is being sprayed next week. It looks awfull :!: Doesn't fit well at all. In a desperate attempt to make it look something like a capri again I noticed that the passenger door is about 1/4inch higher than the drivers at the front i.e it doesnt follow the lines of the bonnet etc. Can you rig mk3 doors as in move them up and down on hinge points etc :?: and has anyone found wings that look right or do I have to find origionals :?:
The resto thing is turning into a pain in the :oops:

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Post by mfw898y »

Just ordered a wing off Hadrain panels after seeing the v8 kid recommend them. Hope this one fits :?

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner
Location: Compton, Nr Newbury, Berkshire Drives: Supercharged 4.6 efi V8 Capri

Post by Coops »

i used them on my car,
and had no problems, except the wing on drivers side sits a fraction lower than the bonnet edge on drivers side,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Rotrex C38-91 supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost.
Sponsored by: www.extraefi.co.uk & www.interpart.biz & www.caprisport.com
Web site: http://www.capriracing.co.uk

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Post by mfw898y »

Its going for a spray on monday so ill have to book it in again for when the wing is fitted. So frustrating!

spookie

Post by spookie »

Hi, You can adjust the door hinges. The bolts are behind the front plastic kick panels in the A pillar. The holes the hinges fit through are quite large so there should be plenty of adjustment. Best to semi tighten the bolts shut the door and use the opposite door to get in and out of the car. Rig up your door to get even shut lines, by giving it firm knocks with your fist or a drift on the studs to alighn the door to where you want it. Climb back in the opposite side and tighten the nuts up.

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Post by mfw898y »

Nice one. Cheers spookie.

Zackspeed280

Post by Zackspeed280 »

Just be glad you are doing the passenger door as the bolts are accessible, whereas the drivers door upper bolts really need the dash taking out. It is possible without doing that by using a snake wrench and swearing a lot but much easier with the dash out!

Align the line and I use cushioned welding clamps on the rain channel with the window wound down to hold the door in place slightly higher than needed - after you have bolted it all together you'll find the door goes down a few mm. Of course while you have the door off check and replace the hinge pins if necessary!!! They are a real pig if stuck when on the car!
Capri 2.8 (A) Tickford replica in build with 280 interior/wheels and original bodykit.
Capri 280 (E) 24V Supercharged Conversion in progress with nearly new shell.
All the parts, not enough time, not nearly enough garages so selling parts slowly!

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Post by mfw898y »

Thanks. I'll check them out when I can get at it, as waiting to get it back from spray shop