God awful rattle

General Chat About Steering.

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

God awful rattle

Post by mfw898y »

I have a rattle that i cant source coming form my steering wheel. Its doing my box in now cos i can pinpoint the noise to the bit at which the wheel bolts to the column but nothing appears loose. It doesn't matter whether i pull push or wiggle the streering wheel. Its always there:? Its like water torture :!: Help

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

*update*

Post by mfw898y »

Messed about, removed things one by one. Their is a kind of star washer behind the indicator cancelling thing. Either that or a collapsed bearing race.
It seems its allowing the shaft to rattle inside coumn. Does anyone know of a servicing kit you can get for a mk3 steering column?

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Post by mfw898y »

Noise unbearable. I was thinking of removing the steering wheel alltogether and engineering some kind of differential braking system for the front wheels. Could be easier than finding the rattle :roll:

Padee

Re: God awful rattle

Post by Padee »

mfw898y wrote:I have a rattle that i cant source coming form my steering wheel. Its doing my box in now cos i can pinpoint the noise to the bit at which the wheel bolts to the column but nothing appears loose. It doesn't matter whether i pull push or wiggle the streering wheel. Its always there:? Its like water torture :!: Help
i have the same rattle.have you got it sorted yet?if so do tell,if not you have my sympathy:)

Padee

Re: God awful rattle

Post by Padee »

popacam wrote:
mfw898y wrote:I have a rattle that i cant source coming form my steering wheel. Its doing my box in now cos i can pinpoint the noise to the bit at which the wheel bolts to the column but nothing appears loose. It doesn't matter whether i pull push or wiggle the streering wheel. Its always there:? Its like water torture :!: Help
i have the same rattle.have you got it sorted yet?if so do tell,if not you ha
ve my sympathy:)
i made a nylon bush to replace the sloppy standard bearing race,the dimensions are as follows...
od-26mm
id-19mm
length-15mm
after fitting,the stalk switch locator can be used to secure it by boring the bush(5mm)through the hole in the colume.steering is mint now and quieter than a mouse.