Car Wont Start Well When Warm And Runs Lumpy When Warm

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake.

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

barkin

Post by barkin »

Just a little advice when checking the metering unit. Try not to move the plate up and down manually when the car is running as a blow back can and will be very painful.

The accumulator keeps the pressure in the system via a diaphragm so the engine can start again when it has been resting.

The pressure will drop to around 2.5bar and a further 0.8bar over night.

freelandingman

Post by freelandingman »

not entirely there is a valve in the metering head which you can adjust with washers to change the pressure,im about to go play about with that now

barkin

Post by barkin »

Its adjustable by an allen key fitting allowing the metering plate to lift and drop by a greater amount thus more fuel to the injectors under load. I think the washers effectively do the same thing.

freelandingman

Post by freelandingman »

barkin wrote:Its adjustable by an allen key fitting allowing the metering plate to lift and drop by a greater amount thus more fuel to the injectors under load. I think the washers effectively do the same thing.

thats the mixture adjustment one,there is a valve in the front,towards the front of the car,looks like a bolt with a nut attached,its near the fuel return pipe,and the pipe rom the warm uo regurlator goes to it and that adjusts the pressure too

barkin

Post by barkin »

I remember someone mention it to me in the past. Thanks for the correction, something to check on mine aswell. Maybe there is a pressure problem at that point.

If you have any luck let me know as I think we are working to the same solution on this one as I've got the same prob.

Did you have gushing fuel in the return at the tank? and did you check if fuel was getting into the tank?

freelandingman

Post by freelandingman »

barkin wrote:I remember someone mention it to me in the past. Thanks for the correction, something to check on mine aswell. Maybe there is a pressure problem at that point.

If you have any luck let me know as I think we are working to the same solution on this one as I've got the same prob.

Did you have gushing fuel in the return at the tank? and did you check if fuel was getting into the tank?

iv not checked it but i beleive it was flowing though ok,foe me to have no pressure it must have been flowing though,
iv just bought a new metering head so should have that by the weekend and il keep you posted

freelandingman

Post by freelandingman »

ok the new metering head did made no difference,so i was looking through the old forum and found this

Try these .
When eng/hot and wont fire up5-10seconds cranking.
Slacken the fuel pipe connection at the fuel distributor ( the one from the fuel filter ).
Placing a medium size rag /or cotton cloth (to soak up the petrol ).
Over the connector .( whilst undoing it )
The petrol should spurt out a high pressure .
If it dosent then two faults can cause this problem .
( 1 ) FUEL ACCUMALATOR .( a diaphram shuts off pipe to tank held shut by a 3foot spring commpressed in the accumalator)
( 2 ) The one way valve on the output of the pump .
The connector bit on the pump is the VALVE .
These two items hold and retain fuel pressure (nothing else ).
Note the pressure spring in the fuel distributor is to retain pressure in the dist/unit whilst engine running

now when i ran the engine then turned it off and waited for 3 mins when i undid the connection at the fuel filter i had no pressure,which leads me to beleive this is my problem,il let u know once iv fitted the new parts

freelandingman

Post by freelandingman »

well its fixed now,turns out it was my non return valve on the fuel pump

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner
Location: Compton, Nr Newbury, Berkshire Drives: Supercharged 4.6 efi V8 Capri

Post by Coops »

glad its now sorted
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Rotrex C38-91 supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost.
Sponsored by: www.extraefi.co.uk & www.interpart.biz & www.caprisport.com
Web site: http://www.capriracing.co.uk

gaz_layfield

Post by gaz_layfield »

I have the same problem on my 2.8i. (Engine starts when i push throttle to the floor) Does the remedy involve changing the fuel pump or can the non return valve problem be fixed without changing the fuel pump.

Thanks Gaz :?:

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”