which one..

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

jef

which one..

Post by jef »

looking into building up a Capper as a project,most likely a mark3, and I don't yet know if the engine will come with it. Not an expert on Ford stuff, more a motorcycle/Mopar guy, so I thaught i'd see what comments people here make.

regardless of wether it comes as an injected powerplant or not, it'll end up runnin on carbs, and although I don't want massive power, somthing between 160 - 200bhp would be nice, without having to go doing major headwork/boring/camming.

I've read the 2.9 Cologne V6 is probably the best option, (is this the 12v cologne V6 that was in the old v6 Sierra, that sounds like an Essex?) and that the 2.8 would not be _as_ good a option..

also heard the old 3.0 Essex was less powerful but had more low-end grunt, which would be ideal..

the key thing is the sound, and enough power to lay a few 11's at the lights when the need takes me.

Many thanks in advance.
James.

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

The 2.9 12V is the sensible choice.

Removing the the injection system in favour of a carb would be a huge step backwards.

If you get the engine from a Sierra 4x4, you can expect 180+ and an easy life.

They fit using 2.8 bits - mounts, gearbox etc and the fuel tank and pump.
Nothing complicated about any of it.

have a look at www.caprisport.com loads of useful info and pictures.
Just some of what we do

jef

Post by jef »

Thanks mate..

Are you saying the injection system on these is good? (I've no real experience with injection on ford engines except the mechanical K-Jetronic Bosch fuel injection which CHOKED the injected CVH blocks..)

what about TBI as a viable option?

Cheers mate.
James

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

The EEC IV management system used on this and many other Fords is extremely good.

It's tough and relyable and the wiring is simple.

The CVH has all sorts of problems on top of the K-jet issues, but yes K-jet is not that great.

What about TBI? why make a simple relyable package more complicated and more work?

So no it's not a viable option.
Just some of what we do

jef

Post by jef »

csr wrote:The EEC IV management system used on this and many other Fords is extremely good.

It's tough and relyable and the wiring is simple.

The CVH has all sorts of problems on top of the K-jet issues, but yes K-jet is not that great.

What about TBI? why make a simple relyable package more complicated and more work?

So no it's not a viable option.
I'm a bit of a carb/tbi-rasp junkie, and unique things are what floats my boat..
That doesn't mean I'm not willing to listen to people on these things, if dpi's the best way, then it's the best way.