groaning noises

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

calumlamont

groaning noises

Post by calumlamont »

well as if to tempt fate talking about all this engine upgrading malarky my lovely capri started making some really odd noises on the motorway last night. only at low revs (engine seems to sound OK when in neutral), but as soon as gears engaged, an odd moaning/groaning sound at low revs (which increases in pitch as the revs get higher) started to emanate from the transmission. Have no idea whether this is clutch, engine, gearbox....but it doesn't sound good. any ideas what might be causing it?

thanks guys for all your help

d13dkt

Post by d13dkt »

have you looked it may be the rear diff, is it a lsd and has it got the correct oil in.
rwd all the way

calumlamont

Post by calumlamont »

it's not LSD no, i think it might be the diff, will try putting some more oil in and seeing if that helps it.

bortaf

Post by bortaf »

check the box oil and if a 5 speed use the correct semi synthetic oil NOT ep80 :)

calumlamont

Post by calumlamont »

hi bortaf
it's a four speed. still making funny groaning noises - I'm sure it's the box, not the diff, as it only makes the noises when in gear and throttle applied (as opposed to constant). is it something to worry about do you reckon?

thestealthdj

Post by thestealthdj »

I have the same problem on my 5 speed, i know this post is fairly old but if anyone can guide me in the direction of the problem that would be great, it starts at about 1500rpm increses in pitch and dies off about 2500-3000rpm, major problem or not?

calumlamont

Post by calumlamont »

hi there, have now sold the car, but problem was the diff and the gearbox - diff seized, gearbox needed replacing...

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner
Location: Compton, Nr Newbury, Berkshire Drives: Supercharged 4.6 efi V8 Capri

Post by Coops »

thanks with updating us with what the fault was mate.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Rotrex C38-91 supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost.
Sponsored by: www.extraefi.co.uk & www.interpart.biz & www.caprisport.com
Web site: http://www.capriracing.co.uk

Burt

OIL !!!

Post by Burt »

Read with interest also. I've been on a couple of sighr

Burt

OIL !!!

Post by Burt »

Read with interest also. I've been on a couple of web sites re diff oil. I have a 5 speed 2.8is on a c plate with 114000 miles and one site recommended B373 castrol oil as it has a synthetic additive suitable for LSDs - on further invuestigation it states on the bottle - not for road use for racing use only... what oil should i use pleeease. Ta Burt