Oil filler cap smoke

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

capriagain

Oil filler cap smoke

Post by capriagain »

I have read jamesok problem about steam/smoke coming out of his oil fillercap. I to have the same but, also coming out or around the left hand rocker cover breather pipe. I have just read on ebay about some one selling a capri and he mentions this problem with his motor and suggests it could be piston rings. Would that produce smoke out the top of your engine? Thare is also a small amount of white deposits inside the filler neck, which is probibly down to mostly using the car for short journeys, the water is not contaminated.Sorry if this seems to waffle on a bit.
Thanks for your good advice.

Capri2.8i

Post by Capri2.8i »

Hi m8

Yes piston rings or worn cyliders can cause this. Your sump vents through your "crankase valve" and rocker cover. The white deposit you see is oil and water sludge casued by the gasses etc. Typical tell tale when buying a car of worn rings.

Can run trouble free for some time so not a desperate problem. If its bothering you, do a cylinder compression test and check again later in the year. Your looking for big differences between cylinders or a difference over time.

capriagain

Oil filler cap smoke

Post by capriagain »

Thanks for replying, checked my plugs last weekend and they were oilly too, so it seems all the symptoms point to piston rings. I have already spoken to a friend/mechanic about changing the rings, but i might do a compression test first to see how bad they are.Is it noticable the way the car drives with new piston rings?

Capri2.8i

Post by Capri2.8i »

Hi again

Best thing is always to do a compression test first m8, It all depends on how bad things are before you notice a difference. I take it you aint smokin from exhaust too bad? If not then doesn't sound as if you have a serious problem. No point in stripping engine if its not bad. It costs a few bob as when you have it stripped, you would be mad not to renew oil stem seals, grind valves etc.....

capriagain

Oil filler cap smoke

Post by capriagain »

I checked the spark the spark plugs after doing about 150 miles 5 are in good condition and the correct colour according to Mr Haynes. 1 plug left hand side at the bulk head is very oily. There does'nt seem to be any smoke on start up from the zorsts.
Cheers mate.

Capri2.8i

Post by Capri2.8i »

Nice 1....... PS So as not to confuse others, smoke at start up is normally caused by oil passing the valve stems and entering the cylinders. Once you start up, this oil gets burnt and fired out the exhaust. Hence the smoke.
Worn rings is a different thing. Cheers again

J