Engine Conversion?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

st.jimmy4

Engine Conversion?

Post by st.jimmy4 »

Hello all, First time on a forum of any sort so please bare with me...

I have wanted a Capri for years, when my dad sold his 1.6 laser, to buy a 306 diesel I was gutted. I always wanted to find that particular car and have it as my own. Never did find it, however I did find a very tidy looking 2.8i T&T for a full year. Bargin. Driving it for the first time was an experience I wont forget, torrential rain, Interior fan not working, windows steaming up, lost the lot. Still enjoyed it, finally I had a Capri!

Anyway, my questions. The 2.8 has been round the clock, twice. It runs all right, but I realise that soon it will need serious money throwing at it. As it's a project car I plan on doing it up. (No Bonnet scoops or anything like that.) I have been looking around for ideas and a frequent engine conversion I have seen is the Granada Cosworth 2.9 swap. However I was wondering about a different cossie, the 2wd sierra Yb engine. Is it achievable? Is it worth doing? Is the Granada a better option? Should I not mess with a 2.8 because it's a bit special anyway?

Any thoughts, tips or advice you may have would be much appreciated.
Thanks

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

better engines for the Capri

Post by csr »

The answer is dirretly related to what you have to spend.

Forget the 2.8 it's just not worth wasting money on.

The sensibe choice is the 2.9EFI Sierra / Granada engine
With the knoledge available here you could do it for about £500

The next step is the 24V - you can do it on a budget but reliability will be an issue. Do it properly with the gearbox and it makes for a fantastic car with a good mix of performance and sensible running costs. Budget about £1500 to do it nice with a low milage engine.

Cosworth 4 cylinder turbo - a bottomeless pit as far as costs go.
Again - you can do it on the cheap but it will be nothing but trouble.

You should also be thinking about brakes and suspension as both are hopeless in factory form.

More info and pictures can be found at www.caprisport.com
Just some of what we do