3 litre Essex oil leaks

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

Rob-3l-V6-Landy

3 litre Essex oil leaks

Post by Rob-3l-V6-Landy »

Hi all,

I've not got a Capri, though I do have a 3 litre Essex V6 in my Landrover. Not a conversion I did myself, a PO did it. Apparently a popular conversion for Landrovers. I don't know much about it, or places where I can get information, I did browse through the old forum before it was changed to this new one.

One of my issues is that the engine leaks oil everywhere, it looks to come out of the oil filler plug, though also looks to be squeezing out of the sump bolt holes, as it collects under a few of the bolts. It also comes out the back somewhere too. I'm guessing that the sump gasket may need replacing, though that means turning the engine the other way up - bummer.

Are there known problems with oil pressure? There is an oil pressure gauge (Lucas), which stays around 50, though when cold goes up to 75ish when revving, then back down again. It's currently got 15w50 oil in it. Once the engine is warm, the oil pressure remains at 50 constantly.

I don't know if the V6 definitely came out of the Capri, or if it might be from another vehicle, though it looks the same as in the Haynes Manual I got for it.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Rob.

3 Litre 'Essex' V6 in a 1971 Series 2a Landrover.