2.8 inj problem

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

fleen

2.8 inj problem

Post by fleen »

Hi there folks i have recently bought a 2.8 inj , Xreg it was put on a trailer and pushed into a lockup 12years ago and left.It has had 2 owners and 52000 miles on the clock, check like tartan interior .Now here is the problem i am having...new petrol ,a good battery,electric fuel pump and a new fuel filter.I turn the key to start it but after ticking over for about 10 secs it cuts out.Turn key again and the same thing is happening,put plugs in it but still the same can anyone help me please.....

freelandingman

Post by freelandingman »

if you put ur foot on the throttle does it still cut out,

barkin

Post by barkin »

Hi, if you say its running for about 10 secs that'll most likely be running on the cold start valve.

Which means you may have a fuel delivery prob to the injectors or a return prob.

Let us know if its sorted and how etc. Cheers.

Kelson

Post by Kelson »

Have you checked the Injection Head etc. The flap in the air box and valve etc should move freely, but are prone to getting a stuck if its parked for a long time.

I would not reccomend stripping it without all the necessary parts as the fuel head WILL leak afterwards. Redex cleaner or similar may help. Another issue can be the tank feed gets gummed up so that the last 3 (yes three) gallons do not feed the fuel pump properly.

Tanks rust inside if stood with only a little fuel in them and they are NLA (as it seems for most bits unfortunately). This in turns plays havoc with the rest of the injection system
24years, 242bhp, and going strong.

barkin

Post by barkin »

Thanks for your reply.

I've found the solution. As it turns out there is corrosion within the swirl pot in the tank blocking the return and partially blocking the feed giving low pressure and blowing the seal on the MFI unit when the pressure builds up due to no return in the tank...

Tank is now replaced and MFI unit.

Consequently I now have 2 spare fuel pumps and a spare fuel tank as well as my faulty ones if anyone would like to make me an offer.

Again thanks for everyone's contributions.

Barkin.

**EDIT**

This is with ref to another thread... sorry ended up in the wrong place as had 2 windows open. May also be relevant to your problem. Cheers.

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner
Location: Compton, Nr Newbury, Berkshire Drives: Supercharged 4.6 efi V8 Capri

Post by Coops »

have you a spare 2.8i fuel sender?
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Rotrex C38-91 supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost.
Sponsored by: www.extraefi.co.uk & www.interpart.biz & www.caprisport.com
Web site: http://www.capriracing.co.uk

barkin

Post by barkin »

I have 2, however one doesn't work and the other was just claimed by a friend for his kit car... sorry.

I will keep a look out. What about Capri club? They can normally get hold of anything they don't hold in stock.