That dim and dingy Capri instrument panel

General Chat About Electrics,
And Ignition Systems.

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

elviz

That dim and dingy Capri instrument panel

Post by elviz »

Hi Folks.

A quick question. I know the instrument cluster bulbs (Mk 3) can be replaced with LEDs (brighter, don't run hot, straight swap). Can anyone confirm that these (please see link) are the right ones, or give me a pointer?

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info ... cts_id=525

Thanks a lot
elviz

PS - New forum looking good...

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

It's an interesting idea.

The one problem I have found with LED bulbs is that they are very dirrectional.
The way the Capri dash works might be a problem.
There are blue caps over the bulbs and they rely on light from the sides more so than forward.

It might be ok or it might be useless.
501 is the correct bulb if you want to give it a go.
Just some of what we do

elviz

Post by elviz »

Thanks - will let everyone know how it goes...

bortaf

Post by bortaf »

Remove the blue lamp covers in the dash and replace the old clear 2W bulbs with blue 5W 501 capless bulbs, they cost around 99P for 2 you will notice the difference.
Done this on every Ford i've owned for the last 6 years 8)
The main trouble is the blue covers harden with age go black and stop the light coming through hense the dim dash, while your at it possable clean the rehostat (sp?) dash dimmer :D

Mikecapri2.8i

Post by Mikecapri2.8i »

I did the same thing, pulled out all the old 2W ones and replaced with some 4 or 5W bulbs..now I can atually see how fast I am going at night..

IanD
Junior
Junior

Post by IanD »

bortaf wrote:Remove the blue lamp covers in the dash and replace the old clear 2W bulbs with blue 5W 501 capless bulbs, they cost around 99P for 2 you will notice the difference.
Done this on every Ford i've owned for the last 6 years 8)
The main trouble is the blue covers harden with age go black and stop the light coming through hense the dim dash, while your at it possable clean the rehostat (sp?) dash dimmer :D
Ok i'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to electrics, what do you mean by capless 501 bulbs, are they leds bulbs or just like the normal looking bulbs but in blue and a higher wattage? where abouts you get them from?
Keeping The Legend Alive ! ....

elviz

Post by elviz »

Hello

I got mine here: https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=611

Bright as you like (can see them in the daytime!) - the only thing is that the dimmer doesn't work, but a small price to pay IMO.

IanD
Junior
Junior

Post by IanD »

elviz wrote:Hello

I got mine here: https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=611

Bright as you like (can see them in the daytime!) - the only thing is that the dimmer doesn't work, but a small price to pay IMO.
Cool,thanks mate, not bothered about the dimmer switch too much, I use to have mine at full brightness anyway :lol: Did you go for the single LED or 4 cluster type?

elviz

Post by elviz »

Singles were enough for me. I got white LEDs, and the colouring in the dials gives out a blue/green colour....I wouldn't get coloured bulbs in the first place....

Good luck!

IanD
Junior
Junior

Post by IanD »

Cheers dude :wink: