Heater resistor

General Chat About Electrics,
And Ignition Systems.

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

capriagain

Heater resistor

Post by capriagain »

Does anybody know if you can get a new resistor for a mk3 capri heater? Mine crumbled when i took the unit apart, sort of fixed it, it works on one speed but i am unsure if it is fast or slow.

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner
Location: Compton, Nr Newbury, Berkshire Drives: Supercharged 4.6 efi V8 Capri

Post by Coops »

can't you get something from maplins that will do the job? failing that it will be a secondhand one from a breakers etc mate sorry.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Rotrex C38-91 supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost.
Sponsored by: www.extraefi.co.uk & www.interpart.biz & www.caprisport.com
Web site: http://www.capriracing.co.uk

capriagain

Heater resistor

Post by capriagain »

I think it will be a lucky find in a breakers yard, had a look at a few electrical component suppliers on line and cant find owt any thing like it, never mind. Thanks for your help.

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner
Location: Compton, Nr Newbury, Berkshire Drives: Supercharged 4.6 efi V8 Capri

Post by Coops »

you tried caprigear and places like that?
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Rotrex C38-91 supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost.
Sponsored by: www.extraefi.co.uk & www.interpart.biz & www.caprisport.com
Web site: http://www.capriracing.co.uk

Lennard

Post by Lennard »

can't you use a mechanical (or elektrical) speed control from a R/C car ?
it's basicaly the same principle and easy to get hold of

*edit*

here is some info on them
Mechanical speed controllers (MSCs) are technologically somewhat interesting, and they're also dirt cheap to make. Which is why you still see the things in practically every electric R/C kit, including this one.

MSCs use a triple-tapped, low value, high wattage wirewound resistor, which a servo-activated wiper-arm arrangement can put in series with the motor. That reduces the voltage the motor sees, and also reduces its speed. But considerable power is wasted as heat by the resistor, and you can't drive at really low speeds - what you get is something like one-third speed, two-thirds speed, and full power.

One-third speed is still faster than many little toy R/C cars can manage, which makes MSC-ed cars unsuitable as indoor toys.

The resistor in the Tamiya kit has a 0.2 ohm resistance between either end terminal and the middle terminal, or 0.4 ohms from one end to the other, which is on par for these things. There's a bit more resistance from the skinny wires to and from the resistor, and from the low-rent spade lug contacts.

With the wiper in the middle position, no power flows to the motor. With the wiper one-third forward or back, the battery's connected to the motor through the whole length of the resistor. With the wiper two-thirds forward or back, the motor's connected to the battery again, but now through one or the other half of the resistor, not the whole thing.

In two-thirds mode, there's less resistance, the motor sees more voltage, more current flows, and the car goes faster - but the resistor dissipates rather more than twice as much heat, and uses only half of its windings to do it. So it's the two-thirds setting that's actually meanest to the resistor.

At the full forward or full reverse settings, the battery's connected directly to the motor, and the resistor gets to cool down.
Greetz Lennard

capriagain

Heater resistor

Post by capriagain »

Thanks Lennard, i have just managed to buy one off ebay last week. What a difference it makes feels like a tornado!
You could look at www. gmscaprispares.co.uk that is where i bought my new bocsh electric motor from about two weeks ago, it was£60, i am not sure if they post over seas. It could be worth asking.
Thanks for you reply.

Lennard

Post by Lennard »

Thanx for that link
i've just asked them

Greetz Lennard

Lennard

Post by Lennard »

still no response after the 2nd e-mail a week ago :x
any other places that have these motor's ?

or shall i just pull it out of my crashed capri ?

Greetz Lennard