Silly dash board light question.

General Chat About Electrics,
And Ignition Systems.

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

ihatesissycars

Silly dash board light question.

Post by ihatesissycars »

I feel like a plonker but i need to ask, the warning light on the right (not the handbrake one) what is it? Mine doesn't work and i'm fairly sure its a charging light but can't remember. If it is a charging light then i'm wondering if it has anything to do with a drain i have which only goes when i isconnect one of the alternator wires. . . . .

mfw898y
Junior
Junior

Post by mfw898y »

It was suggested to me that it could be something to do with a diode(s) that are in the alternator and/or regulator when i had a similar problem with battery drain. It is the charge light you are refering to.

r2d2hp

Post by r2d2hp »

It is the charging light and when the ignition is turned on it feeds 12v to the alternator.

If the bulb is broken then it will not feed a trigger voltage to the alternator which means the alternator will never produce an output.

Check that the lamp is getting 12V from the ign switch and that is being fed to the field wiring on the alternator

ihatesissycars

Post by ihatesissycars »

Ah!

Could this cause a .36a drain do you reckon?

I've been chasing this drain for ages and it only goes when i disconnect on of the charge wires from the alternator.

Thanks again!