Type 9 onto 24valve

General Chat About Drivetrain.

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

fuzzy2hotrods

Type 9 onto 24valve

Post by fuzzy2hotrods »

G,Day all, I,ve read several entries on type 9 gear boxes some say no! some say yes! . Exactly what are the pro,s & con,s of a type 9 on a 24 valve as I have one on my BOA in my 1948 Anglia delivery street rod which is about to be licenced here in Australia I would realy like to avoid problems if any!!!

csr
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by csr »

fuzzy2hotrods Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:16 am Post subject: Type 9 onto 24valve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G,Day all, I,ve read several entries on type 9 gear boxes some say no! some say yes! . Exactly what are the pro,s & con,s of a type 9 on a 24 valve as I have one on my BOA in my 1948 Anglia delivery street rod which is about to be licenced here in Australia I would realy like to avoid problems if any!!!

You'll get lots of oppinion on this subject - most of it rubbish.

Here are the facts

The type 9 is not realy strong enough but can be nursed to soldier on a while.
The speed sensor is required or the engine will run an a kind of "limp home" map - if you don't know any better,
you'll be happy with the performance but get a speed sensor connected and the difference is amazing.
Ford spent a few million quid developing the MT75 and the 24V Cosworth engine. If it didn't need the speed sensor,
it wouldn't be there and if the type 9 was any good, they would still use it rather than spend money on new developments
of the MT75 funilly enough.

We run all our Cosworths how Ford intended and they're much quicker and run smoother than any of the
lashed up stuff with type 9 boxes.
Just some of what we do

johnnyc

Post by johnnyc »

I am hoping to get a mt75 in a few months but for now i will have to use a type 9 gearbox .The speed sensor kit i see is avalible from burtons but with using this kit can i still connect a cable speedo. also how is the burtons kit wired to the ecu ?