Swapping axle internals

General Chat About Drivetrain.

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

ihatesissycars

Swapping axle internals

Post by ihatesissycars »

Righteo then, i've just stripped down my 2.0 axle to start cleaning up and putting my lsd into.

Where shall i start!

I've spoken to Neil Crane Sheppard yonks ago ref this who has had luck with just swapping the lsd unit itself and checked the mesh to find its all good (using the 2.0 axles shim setup) and i'll be giving this a try first.

Now ref the bearings it makes sense to replace them whilst i'm in there so how do you get the buggers off the diff and pinion gear shaft? (yes i've never done this before. . . )

Gav

Coops
Site Admin & Owner
Site Admin & Owner
Location: Compton, Nr Newbury, Berkshire Drives: Supercharged 4.6 efi V8 Capri

Post by Coops »

good luck mate,
i will be doing the above soon too.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Rotrex C38-91 supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost.
Sponsored by: www.extraefi.co.uk & www.interpart.biz & www.caprisport.com
Web site: http://www.capriracing.co.uk

ihatesissycars

Post by ihatesissycars »

Yeah i'm gonna need some luck i think, it's not going to be easy i suspect.

ihatesissycars

Post by ihatesissycars »

Errrr just spoke to one of my old work buddies at a Ford dealer. He's set up ALOT of these axles should the mesh need adjusting and well, it aint easy and thats a massive understatment! Do-able if you have the correct tools and alot of patience! I'm really really hoping mine comes out ok when i stick the lsd in as it is. . . . .

This is what Neil Crane Sheppard said in an email a while back

"We use a 3.44 from a 2 litre on almost everything including V8 and Cosworth.
The 3.09 is way too high so the one you have is the answer.

Use the 2 litre axle and build the LSD unit into it. Obviously swap the brakes over as well.
Just swap the crown wheel and try the diff unit back in the case. If you are lucky it will be ok.
If the mesh is too tight or too loose, it's a professional set up job. Don't risk it if you are not certain.
Get it wrong and it will last about 10 minutes"

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

What Neil says is absolutely correct. Mesh is critical. I remember setting a couple up at college and it's not exactly simple... if you are not 100% confident get a professional to do it... this is one thing thats certainly worth spending a little cash on to make absolutely certain.

spookie

Post by spookie »

One way to get the bearings off is to use an angle grinder. Cut the bearing cage off and gind the bearing race till it is quite thin. A good whack with a chisel should crack the race and it should come off.

chiefcapri2.8

Post by chiefcapri2.8 »

Hi lads, sorry for not being clued up on these things but why would you swap the lsd into the 2 litre axle? I've got a 2.8i with the lsd, the car is currently in the middle of being rebuilt, but i've got a spare 2 litre axle and now i'm really curious as to which would be best? I thought the 2.8i lsd axle had thicker half shafts and better internals to handle the extra power? Is the benefit of swapping the lsd into the 2 litre axle a ratio thing for better acceleration? And if so, what effect would this have in 'real world' day to day driving terms, or is it more for a track/quarter mile setup? Really looking forward to your replies!

ihatesissycars

Post by ihatesissycars »

The 2.0 axle ratio gives better acceleration which is much more useful in the real world. The reason i'm changing is that i worked out that my v8 is theoretically geared to do 178mph which of course it'll never reach so by swapping to the 2.0 ratio i have a theoretical top speed of 150+ (if it can reach 6000rpm) and much improved acceleration!

chiefcapri2.8

Post by chiefcapri2.8 »

Brilliant ! Thanks for your reply! So my next question would be, would i see the benefit of doing this to my 2.8i?! Or are the standard ford ratios a good match for the 2.8 engine? Wasn't the top speed of the 2.8 special listed as 140mph? How much of this do you think i would lose if i swapped the axle? I know 140mph isn't a speed you can do day-to-day but i would like some top end for track day thrashes, trips to the Nurbergring, etc, when the car's finished!! :D

ihatesissycars

Post by ihatesissycars »

I doubt you would lose any top end as it'll just reach a higher max rpm in fifth (which is an very long overdrive type gear don't forget).

Have a search around for a recent copy of retro ford mag as they did a before and after 2.8 to 2.0 axle swap with before and after performance figures and the results were rather good!

IanD
Junior
Junior

Post by IanD »

I'm going to be running a 2.8i LSD in the Cossie Capri, didn't know if it was best to leave it the 2.8i ratio and then change to 3.44 later on when the engine's been run in and got a few miles on the clock
Keeping The Legend Alive ! ....

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

don't forget to change your speedo drive gears for the appropriate ones as they are different depending on what axle you use... oh... and simply swapping out the pastic one isn't enough... you need to replace BOTH the metal drive and plastic driven gears.

ihatesissycars

Post by ihatesissycars »

well everythings been apart, cleaned and inspected and now fitted intot he 2.0 casing and all bolts nipped up and so far feelings are good that all is going to be ok. . . . .

I have a secret weapon up my sleeve though. . . . . . .

His is Steve the ex Ford mechanic from back in the day when they used to rebuild axles! He used to work at the same ford garage that i did and he knows his stuff, he's confident it should mesh up fine as it is as what i'm doing is exactly what he used to do whenever a broken axle came in.

Tomorrow i will set the pinion gear end float and once thats done i'll tighten everything up and check the crown wheels backlash and fingers crossed that will be that.

i'll keep ya posted.

ihatesissycars

Post by ihatesissycars »

Well i've nailed it all together and checked what i can and it all seems ok in regards to mesh, pinion end play, backlash etc. . . . .

Once i've got the car back on the road i'll let you all know how much it howls!

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

I take it you are checking the mesh with "blue"