over heating

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderators: phpBB2 - Administrators, Moderators

squidstain

over heating

Post by squidstain »

k, i bought my capri n i was coming back from work on the motorway n the whole thing over heated n died. i got the radiator replaced, new hoses, new expansion tank and all was running sweet until today when it over heated after coming off the motorway. i manages to get to a garage. filled the rdiator right up with water along with the expansion tank. started driving home then it happened again about 5 mins later. all looks good apart from water was forcing its self out the top of the radiator cap (which is new also) and that was where all the steam was coming from. the heater gauge is fine, nice n stable until the pressure seems to get too much then it slowly rises until i cant bear it anymore n have to pull over.

the only thing i can think of is a: i have no coolant/anti freeze mixed in the rad or expansion tank at all and or b: i filled them both up too much and the car is drowning its self.

im totally lost, does anyone have an idea?

thanks

Edd

capri-dave

Post by capri-dave »

what engine do you have in your capri m8???

capri-dave

Post by capri-dave »

ok ive just read your other posts...

i now know its a 2.8i...

I also now know the engine boils over frequently...the oil pressure is very low...and the engine is running unevenly with steam/fumes coming out of 1 exhaust :cry:

This dont sound good to be honest,

I would say at the least 1 of your head gaskets has gone :?

squidstain

overheating

Post by squidstain »

yea had a feeling id blown one if not two of them. i can get a set cheap on ebay, around 30 for a set. how much am i looking at for labour roughly. i have a good mechanic but is it much labour hours?

squidstain

overheating

Post by squidstain »

just wanna say thanks for the support. My mechanic came down on friday and confirmed that it was the head gasket. Its been taken now and should be back soon in fully working order.

thanks loads

Edd

capri-dave

Post by capri-dave »

hey no worries m8...

thats what forums are for bud :wink: